Hummingbird Bit Controller
- Building an additional robot with the kit components one already owns; Two robots can share the sensors, lights, and motors within a single kit
- Creating one’s own kit by purchasing components a la carte
If you don't already own a Hummingbird Robotics Kit, check out the Hummingbird Bit Premium Kit.
The micro:bit-powered Hummingbird Bit Robotics Kit inspires deep and joyful learning in all students! The Hummingbird Robotics Kit is comprised of lights, sensors, and motors which allow students to build a robot out of any materials. The power of Hummingbird is in its flexibility - the same reusable kit can animate a poem, model the human arm, build an autonomous rover, or create a pinball machine! Hummingbird epitomizes a low-floor, high-ceiling approach: absolute beginners can build & program a robot in minutes, but continue learning advanced engineering & programming for years.
All Hummingbird Bit Robotics Kits include:
- Free classroom-tested and standards-aligned learning materials, such as programming tutorials, lesson plans, and printable student activities.
- Out-of-the-box compatibility with laptops and tablets.
- Free software that is tested to work with school IT environments.
- Support for block-based and text-based programming environments, including MakeCode, Python, and Java.
- Electrically protected connectors that allow students to easily add multiple motors, sensors, and LEDs without risk of harm due to incorrect connections.
- Free online professional development, including classroom curriculum integration planning.
- Classroom-ready packaging, including sturdy cases, sorting compartments, and stackable containers.
- Products that have been created and validated by National Science Foundation-funded research at Carnegie Mellon University and tested in classrooms with teachers and students.
All Hummingbird Bit Robotics Kits work with the following programming languages:
- BirdBlox (block-based - available on iOS, Android, Fire OS)
- MakeCode (block-based - available on Chromebooks, Mac, Windows, Linux)
- Snap! (block-based - available on Chromebooks, Mac, Windows)
- Python (text-based - available on Chromebooks, Mac, Windows)
- Java (text-based - available on Mac, Windows)
Notes on devices:
- If you will use the Hummingbird Kit with Windows machines, with the programming languages Snap!, Python, or Java, you will need to purchase this dongle to use your robot wirelessly (one for each controller/robot).